sabatomic » perth pet photography, lifestyle photography and portraiture

Summer Desserts – Food Photography Challenge [August 2012]

This month’s food photography and food styling challenge was “Summer Desserts”. After many weeks of debate and seeking outside opinions about what this could mean, I finally decided: Icecream sandwiches and chocolate-dipped strawberries! I was sick with the flu for 3 out of 5 weeks this month. However, I had invested so much mental energy into the challenge so I couldn’t let this mess with my desire to produce a delicious frozen treat.

Icecream sandwiches and chocolate-dipped strawberries

The drink pictured above is what I would describe as on the cusp of drinkable. I attempted to make something similar to the Strawberry Sunset at Santa Fe (strawberries, lemon & lime juice, pineapple juice, ice shaken) but… it didn’t quite work as planned.

Icecream sandwiches with flags in them

Tom and I initially made a delicious vanilla icecream which I had believed to be “no churn”. However, it froze quite solid, so I gave that away to a hungry friend – much to Tom’s disappointment. Instead, I used Bulla Real Dairy Vanilla Ice Cream (my favourite grocery store icecream) which saved me the effort of having to make another icecream mixture from scratch.

Dipping strawberries in dark chocolate

It was a two day process to get the sandwiches together and frozen in place.  I’m glad I made more biscuits than I needed; one of the most difficult tasks was preventing my family from consuming the chocolate biscuits!  In my flu-induced haze, meticulously measuring 2×4 inch rectangles and boring little holes in the top with toothpicks was not an easy task. The thought of having one of those mistakenly consumed was traumatic.

Icecream sandwiches and chocolate dipped strawberries

I quickly discovered that the icecream could not be out of the freezer for very long before starting to thaw out.  In between styling the sandwiches and taking shots, I would wrap and re-freeze the sandwiches to prevent their insides melting everywhere.

Anyone for a summer picnic?

Remember how I mentioned that I had the flu this month? As a result, no friends or family could eat the foods that I made for this food photography shoot. Oh well… more for me!

Follow our blog circle around to the extremely talented Caroline Manrique, Chicago IL, Food Photographer and Blogger!

Please comment below if you’d like the recipe, I’ll post it up if anyone’s interested!

sabatomic signature

share on facebookshare on twitter
  • August 27, 2012 - 1:22 pm

Tiff Faithfull - yummmmm I love icecream sandwiches! recipe pls :)

• August 27, 2012 - 1:30 pm

Caroline Manrique - Wow…love these photos and I totally want to make the ice cream Sammies

• August 27, 2012 - 1:35 pm

Debbie Wibowo - You are sooo good at cooking and I really love your food photography style. That heart shaped ice cream sandwich? Totally the winner!

• August 27, 2012 - 2:07 pm

Tiffany Dahle - Woah Nelly! These are AMAZING images, Sab! I LOVE them. I don’t even know where to start. That color palette is gorgeous, I love your styling, everything looks so bright and delicious and the compositions are fantastic. I love that dark chocolate with the creamy ice cream and the bright pops of red from the berries and props. Just phenomenal work all around for this challenge!

• August 27, 2012 - 2:18 pm

Sabatomic Photography - Thanks Debbie! They’re actually two little icecream-shaped sandwiches, I couldn’t resist buying an icecream cutter for icecream sandwiches! Thank you, however I don’t cook often atm (about once a month…) so I’m not sure I could call myself a good cook yet ;)

• August 27, 2012 - 2:19 pm

Sabatomic Photography - I would offer you one but they’re probably full of virus (despite my best attempts at hand hygiene) ;) Will let you know when the recipe goes up Tiff!

• August 27, 2012 - 2:23 pm

Tricia Cheah - You gun! Argh I am going to go to the cafeteria tomorrow and pig out on icecream sandwiches thanks to your stunning pictures.

• August 27, 2012 - 2:52 pm

Sabatomic Photography - Thanks Tricia! They’re pretty good as a treat, even in the weird sometimes-cold Perth weather we’re having ;)

• August 27, 2012 - 2:52 pm

Sabatomic Photography - Thanks Caroline :)

• August 27, 2012 - 2:54 pm

Sabatomic Photography - Thank you so much Tiffany, I really appreciate the styling compliments as you have a wonderful colourful style yourself!

• August 27, 2012 - 4:06 pm

Cayce Elms Wegman - Amazing photos! These look like something I would eat a whole box of! lol you did a wonderful job with all the colors you incorporated from the chocolate dipped strawberries to the drinks and straws! Love your work!

• August 27, 2012 - 9:30 pm

Chisa - I want this recipe! Gorgeous photos, I love how you style food – very inspiring!

• August 27, 2012 - 10:11 pm

Sab - Thanks Chisa! I’ve been following your food photos too, I love your design eye in general :)

• August 27, 2012 - 11:44 pm

Stacey S - Woo-hoo! What a gorgeous job you did!! I can’t even choose a favorite – they all are superb! Super fun wrappers for the ice cream sandwiches – really is a fab touch. And I want those strawberries. Now. The composition of the strawberries laid out being dipped in chocolate rocks, but yet they all do!

• August 28, 2012 - 12:49 am

Jen Olson - Sab! You’ve really knocked this one out of the park! I’m pretty much obsessed with this post…the colors, the styling, the light. Well done!

• August 28, 2012 - 2:52 am

Tammy Bilodeau - Wowsers!! Sabrina these images are so beautiful. Every little detail was thought out, right down to the holes in the top of the cookies! You did a fabulous job, considering you were so sick last month. I love all your little garnishes, props and the red just suit these so well. You should be so proud of this :)

• August 28, 2012 - 3:44 am

Laurie - Sabrina these are AMAZING! The student.. in winter.. with the flu.. SUCCESS!! I love the the splashes of red with the chocolate and vanilla. Your props and styling are soo good. Thank you for making this happen. I hope your feeling much better.
    I’m in awe of the biscuits!! Do you have a recipe?? :)

• August 28, 2012 - 10:30 am

Sab - Thank you so much Stacey! I discovered that the wrappers are also semi-functional in preventing icecream drip whilst eating them :)

• August 28, 2012 - 10:33 am

Sab - Thank you for noticing all the details Tammy! It probably delayed my recovery a little but I feel that it was worth it ;)

• August 28, 2012 - 10:43 am

Kim - Liv Life - Sabrina, I’m so happy that you felt even well enough to put these together, let alone shoot them. 3 out of 5 weeks? That’s a long time to be sick, and I sure hope you are on the road to recovery.
    BEAUTIFUL shots you have! I love the first one, the placement of everything is just perfect, and your description of the drink being “on the cusp of drinkable” had me laughing out loud. Oh, how I understand that all too well.
    Great job with summer products in the middle of winter. Hopefully you are on your way to spring! I’m not looking forward to working my way to fall… I think I need to follow the Endless Summer!

• August 28, 2012 - 3:34 pm

Valeria Sereia - Oh my, what a fun post. Yummy colors… Yummy treat. I love it and really want to try that

• August 28, 2012 - 10:45 pm

Kay Pickens - Wow, these are fabulous! So nice that you conveniently got sick so they are all yours to eat. (just kidding…hope you feel better soon). I bow to your patience at photographing so many shots of ice cream. I bet you did have to keep putting them back in the freezer!

• August 29, 2012 - 3:38 am

Sabatomic Photography - Thanks Jen! :)

• August 29, 2012 - 3:38 am

Sabatomic Photography - Thanks Valeria, I’ll post up the recipe soon!

• August 29, 2012 - 9:27 am

Sab - Thanks Laurie! I am slowly coughing less each day! Will post the recipe when I have some time for sure!! I’ve been “taste testing” my results and they’re good :)

• August 29, 2012 - 11:34 am

Sab - Thank you Kim! I got sick twice, either a resurgence of previous flu or something else :( I’m currently trying to decide whether to throw out the drink or just consume it… I guess one benefit of the colder weather here is that frozen treats melt slightly slower ;)

• August 29, 2012 - 11:37 am

Sab - Thanks Kaye, I guess one benefit of photographing in cold weather is that I had a few extra minutes with the icecreams before they melted everywhere, I was to and from the freezer throughout the process, I couldn’t leave them out longer than 10-15 minutes!

• December 1, 2012 - 6:48 pm

Vocaloid Senbonzakura Meiko - […] of a horrible flu that actually put me out of action for weeks (same one I had when I did the icecream sandwiches). I have time for shoots so rarely these days that I just could not face the idea of cancelling. I […]

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *